Saturday, January 9, 2010

Plzeňský Prazdroj ("the Fountainhead of Pilsner"): Home of Pilsner Urquell


Here's a fun fact for you: The Czech Republic drinks about 160 litres of beer per capita a year! That’s about 300 pints per person and makes them the top beer consumer in the world. We woke up early to go to Plzn, a Bohemian city known as the birthplace of the Pilsner beer style in general, and for Pilsner Urquell, since 1898. Factory tours are awesome!

Ashley (Team Vacation!) and Sara (Team Vacation from Work!) on the metro, enroute.

We were tired, but embarked on an early Student Agency bus bound for Plzn. Field trip!

Town of Plzn. This restaurant does not like communism. Jess agrees.

I'm not quite sure what Miriam was demonstrating here in the restaurant. Probably something awesome. Or an elephant. With a hat.

This dude was in the waiting area at the brewery. At first I was skeptical.

But then I ate his sausage. Oops.

Sara made a fortune teller middle school style.

OMG Sara and Jess are so excited to be on the beer bus!

So many bottles, so much beer! It smelled like a house party X 1000!

Beer is made in there!

We rode the biggest elevator in continental Europe (I think?)! Did I mention Kt came to visit me from America? Because she did.

There was lots of barley. I put it in my mouth, but it didn't taste as good as when it's in beer form.

People feeders! It fed us ground hops.

Non-ground hops! I also put these in my mouth, but I think it was a bad decision. Also much better in beer form.

We went to the cellars were old style wooden barrels of beer were fermenting.

Our tour guide! And the beer! Ready for our mouths!

Barrels!

Go Team Pivo! We got to drink special unfiltered, unpasturized beer as part of the tour. We were definitely the most enthusiastic people on the group. Yay everyone! Yay beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment