Wednesday, September 30, 2009

London Calling

My life is all sorts of crazy right now, both job-wise (again) and in the ever familar "Who am I? What am I doing with my life? What will I do next? And why do things that I'm pretty sure I never had in my brain just come out of my mouth sometimes?" kind of way. I could probably write pages and pages of pseudo-intellectual bullshit along these lines. Speaking of, everyone should watch the film "Before Sunrise" because it's pretty great. Anyway, that would never stop me from having fun. Especially because these lovely ladies came to visit me this weekend from England, on a train, no less! A whole year since I'd seen them in Brighton was definitely too long:

Here is Emma beheading Holly ontop of 27 white crosses in Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) on Friday, which represents the spot where 27 Protestant nobles, merchants and intellectuals were beheaded in 1621 after rebelling against the Catholic Hapsburgs ending Czech independents for 300 years. Does this mean we're douchebags? Probably.

On our walk home the night before, we saw this creepy sight in the dumpster a block away from my flat. Dead body? Sort of.


Saturday, I finally got around to the Lennon Wall thanks to Emma and Holly's touristy motivation. I also finally got to Cross Club, which was crazy and awesome. Story behind this picture...until independence came in 1989, travelers, freedom-lovers and local hippies gathered here. After John Lennon was killed in 1980, this wall was spontaneously covered with memorial graffiti. During Communist times, the police would paint over it every night, but miraculously, every day, the graffiti would reappear. Thus, this wall is remembered as a refuge of sorts for locals craving freedom during this time. Here I am "Imagining" (apparently I wear this shirt in every picture I post here, oops)...


Sunday we wandered around the Jewish Quarter but everything was expensive to get into, so that's all we did really. Except watch the sunset in the park a block away from my flat! Here's a view of the vineyard from the hill we were sitting on. Yes, I have a vineyard a block away. In the city. And they have veggie burritos. Prague is just cool like that.


Emma, Andrea and I watching the sunset! Holly was sleeping because she caught a cold/hangover. ;-)


That's all for now. Maybe I'll actually talk about my life soon. Mostly, my job converted me to part-time by taking away my preschoolers and giving them to someone with kid-experience (about 10 of my scheduled teaching hours). While I'm upset I need to find more hours somewhere, I'm sort of relieved. I really don't know anything about children that young. I still have some other classes though and the visa process is beginning, so it's not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment